Monday, February 13, 2012

Creating a Big Girl Space for Addyson

Remember this post and this one about Addyson's big girl room?  Well, now that we are settled into our new home in Iowa I am finally getting around to executing my plans.  Sort of.  The process is moving slowly but at least she's not still sleeping in a 3-sided crib.


The ridiculously inexpensive bedding from Kohl's (mentioned in the above post) was returned and the plans were altered after I stumbled across this room on Pinterest:

Beautiful pink and powder blue color combination!

The original color scheme for Addyson's room was bubblegum pink and turquoise but I changed my mind the moment that I saw this photo.  I love the way that the powdery blue/almost periwinkle shade looks with the pink and white.  So clean and crisp, light and airy.  And so pretty.  I don't know what else to say about it, except that it's pretty.  And different.  A bit unexpected maybe?  Most people tend to think pink is for girls and blue is for boys and I never would have thought to pair the two together had I not seen this photo.  I've seen girls' rooms decorated in pink/green, pink/yellow, pink/lavender and pink/pink but never really pink/blue, and definitely not this shade of blue.

So of course I was drawn to it.  I mean, why on earth would I want to make things easy on myself by choosing a color combination that is common or even a shade of blue that is readily available at the stores that I frequent?  That would be too convenient.  In fairness to myself, it's not like turquoise is a super common color either, so regardless of which color I had chosen this process wasn't going to be a stroll in the park.  Turquoise would have been easier but still not easy.  Not like green or yellow or lavender or just about any other color in the rainbow.  Nope, I couldn't even go with plain old blue.  I had to go with what Benjamin Moore calls "Jet Stream"  and Sherwin Williams calls "Bewitching Blue".

Anyway, enough complaining since I'm the one that choose to make this process difficult.  Here are a few photos of the progress that has been made in the room so far and a bit more about what else we hope to accomplish over the next few weeks!

Delano twin bed from Target.  Such a great deal!
And I love that it's simple and has drawers for storage underneath.
The bedding shown is not what we purchased, see below for that photo:)

Tea Time bedding from Land of Nod.
We only purchased the duvet cover since the other colors shown
don't coordinate w/the pink/blue scheme.

Next up we are planning to paint at least 1 of the walls in the room.  Why only 1 wall?  Well, because we are renting this house and technically I don't think we're really supposed to paint at all, so we figure that if we only paint 1 wall then we'll have less to undo when we move out.
This is the shade of blue that we think
most closely matches the photo from Pinterest.
Sherwin Williams "Bewitching Blue".
I also still need to add some organizational items like bins and/or baskets to hold books, dolls, toys and other miscellaneous items that inevitably end up in Addyson's room.

I love these storage baskets from Land of Nod but I'm unsure on which color to go with.
I'm trying to avoid too much pink in the room but I'm not sure
that the light blue shown is the "right" shade either.
And we need some wall art or shelves- anything to add character to the walls that are left white.  And I would love some sort of hanging decor or lighting too even though the room is well-lit with the single light fixture that is already there.
I'm obsessed with the Maskros light fixture from Ikea but I'm
not sure that it's practical to pay $50 for it when I intend to use it soley
for decorative purposes and not to light the room.
And (lots of and's here, huh?) I'm on the hunt for decorative pillows to add to the currently completely pink bedding.  In need of some white and blue to break it up!  New curtains would be nice too since the ones we have now are also pink (although a much more pale shade than the bedding) and are leftovers from Addyson's nursery.

So as you can see, there is still a lot of work to be done in Addyson's new room but we're getting there.  Slowly but surely.  And did I mention that I'm going to attempt to paint the room myself?  Another reason why only 1 wall will be painted.  I need to make something easy on myself.

I'll post more updates as we go and hopefully the room will be complete or close to it very soon!  And here's a peek at some the inspiration photos that I've pinned to my board on Pinterest.








No comments:

Post a Comment