Monday, September 19, 2011

Planning Addyson's Big Girl Room

Addyson turned 3 in June and is still sleeping in her crib.  We did remove the drop side about 2 months ago, so technically she's now sleeping in a mini daybed of sorts.  Okay, it's still a crib.  I was just trying to make myself feel better.  Didn't work...

Truthfully, time got away from us and the next thing we knew we had a 3+ year old that was still confined to a crib and starting to look a little silly in it.  And truthfully, we don't have extra money to spend on a new bed and everything else that goes along with it.  I mean, she can't get a new bed without also getting new sheets, comforter/quilt, pillow, etc.  And I don't like to do things half way so when we get the new bed/bedding I would also prefer to decorate and complete the entire room.  Who wants a room that's only half complete?


Of course, me being me and being a plan ahead kind of person, I choose a color scheme for Addyson's big girl room a few months ago.  And like with Cooper's aqua and orange theme, I couldn't just go with something common and typical.  I had to make things difficult for myself again.  I choose turquoise and bubblegum pink.  Not too far out there, but not something that is gracing the shelves and displays of any and every store in town.

So as usual I took to the internet to look for ideas and inspiration.  Still not a lot to work with!  Thank heavens for Pinterest!  I was able to find a handful of photos and ideas there.  And Google is a life saver too.  I don't know how I ever survived without Google.  And blogs.  So many blogs.  


Now I have a color scheme to work with, but no money and limited ideas.  Should be interesting.  I was able to score a twin size comforter with a standard sham and a super cushy and cute floor cushion at Kohl's for only about $7.  Yes, I said $7.  They had select bedding sets on clearance for 70% off and I had a store credit that was burning a hole in my pocket, so I paid a whopping $7.  I was proud of myself for that deal.  And even better, the colors were exactly what I had envisioned!  Still smiling now.  


Of course, a new issue has come about since purchasing the amazingly inexpensive bedding.  I found a bed that I love and it is pink.  Adorable, girly and pink.  And affordable.  So what's the problem?  I'm not sure that the bedding is going to look quite right on the pink bed.  Problem is, the bed is an internet only item so I can't take the bedding to the store to see how they will look together.  Why do I get myself into these predicaments???  Super cute bed versus super cheap bedding.  Who wins???  Or can I pull it off using both the bed that I have my sights set on and the bedding that I mistakingly stumbled upon and scored for such a great deal?


This is the floor cushion from Kohl's and the bedding also features the same medallion print.

Pink headboard similar to the one that I am contemplating.



What do you think?  Will the aqua medallion bedding look too busy on the bubblegum pink bed?
Stay tuned as I plan and execute this turquoise and pink haven!

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I think they'll look adorable together! It's not hard to make an upholstered headboard either; so you could always find the perfect fabric and make your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a great color scheme and I know they would look great together. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete