Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Nifty Thrifty Update



If you read this post then you know that I had grand plans this past weekend that included visiting several local antique/thrift stores.  You may also recall that I mentioned the disappointment that I was more or less expecting to feel if (or when in this case) I came home empty handed.  Well, it turns out that I was right and I came home with a big fat nothing.  Turns out I'm not so nifty or thrifty I guess.

I had an unexpected sidekick join me on my journey (Rylee, who is 6) and we actually enjoyed our day together even though we didn't make any purchases.  We went to 3 of the 4 stores on my list - 2 were antique stores and 1 was a consignment/resale shop.  It was a lot of fun to wander around aimlessly looking at all of the trinkets, furniture and such.  Rylee especially loved the old telephones and dolls.  And I did see several items that reminded me of my Grandma's house, but nothing that triggered a specific memory or that seemed special enough to come home with us.

To be honest I didn't even come close to buying anything.  There is still 1 store left on my list and my sister claims that there are some pretty great flea markets in this area, so I haven't given up hope yet.  When spring time rolls around I will be hitting some of those flea markets and maybe even try my hand at yard sale shopping:)

In the meantime my sister has offered up an antique dresser that she bought for $20 but isn't using, so I think I'm going to adopt it and try a little DIY makeover on it for Addyson's room.  And I found some hobnail glass pieces on ebay that definitely remind me of my Grandma's house so I may just purchase those too.  It may not be as fun and exciting as scouring antique shops but it sure is convenient!

No comments:

Post a Comment