Saturday, April 2, 2011

Easter Madness

So my head is still spinning with fun, creative ideas for Easter and Spring decor, crafts, food, etc.  I don't know to make it stop.  Sometimes I wish I could turn off the part of my brain that makes me want to be so crafty.  Really I do.  I am so overwhelmed with ideas.  There is no way that I could possibly execute them all, nor should I, because doing so would cause my home to look like some sort of Easter tornado tore through it scattering egg, bunny, flower and chickee debris everywhere.

This whole decorating process is going to end up taking up as much of my time and space in my home as Christmas decorating does and that's just not right.  Christmas is the ultimate holiday for decorating, baking, and crafting so Easter should not take over!  This means that when Christmas rolls around this year I'm going to have to step it up a bit in order to out do Easter (and myself).
What have I gotten myself into?


Since I have so many great ideas to share I decided that I will need to write multiple blog posts rather than one GIANT one.  This will be the first installment with more to follow as I complete the projects.

First up - my DIY Egg Tree.  This not the same as the mini egg trees from Target that I mentioned in my very first blog post.  This is actually a DIY project that I originally created about 3 years ago but updated this year by adding some ribbon trim to my tree pot.  I "borrowed" the idea from Pottery Barn Kids - at the time their Egg Tree was around $69 but this year their version is $49 (that does not include the ornaments though).

The original Egg Tree that I made.

This year's new and improved Egg Tree.


Here are some simple instructions for how to create your own Egg Tree.  First you will need the following items:
terra cotta pot
styrofoam for floral arrangements
artificial branches
spray paint
assorted ribbon
Easter grass
egg tree ornaments
hot glue gun

First you will need to cut the styrofoam to fit the pot.  Then spray paint the pot using any color you choose.  Once the paint is dry use your glue gun to affix the ribbon in desired pattern.  Because the pot is not the same size all the way down your ribbon may not lay completely flat and you will need to pull it as tight as possible when gluing.  Next put the styrofoam pieces in the pot and push the branches into the foam.  I also used a twist tie at the base of the branches to hold them together as they were leaning outward and I didn't want a sprawling tree.  Once your branches are arranged to your liking just add your egg tree ornaments and you are done!

The great thing about this is that you can make changes and updates from year to year simply by adding a new coat of spray paint in a different color, changing your ribbon trim or adding new ornaments!

No comments:

Post a Comment