Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Addyson's Grueling Gallery Wall

Don't let the title fool you, I LOVE the way that the gallery wall in Addyson's room turned out, but grueling was the best adjective that I could come up with to the describe the process of pulling it all together.  It took over 2 months to collect all of the pieces for the wall and I spent countless hours looking at artwork on Etsy, spray painting (and sometimes re-painting) items, and making it all work together.

This was my 1st time doing a full-on gallery wall with so many pieces but I'm very happy with the result.  My biggest tidbits of advice when doing a gallery wall are:

1.  Take your time and be patient in finding all of the "right" pieces.
2.  Use a mix of items to add interest and depth.  I used mirrors, photos, artwork, etc.
3.  Look around your house for items that you can repurpose.  Don't be afraid to make changes to existing items to make them fit with your theme.  Spray paint was my best friend during this project.
4.  Have a plan before you start hammering and poking holes in the wall.  Lay everything out on the floor in front of the wall that you will be using.  Take pictures of different layouts so that you can see your options and remember where you positioned each item.
5.  Know when to say when.  There were several other pieces that I wanted for this space but I didn't want to overtake the entire wall so I stopped when I felt that I had reached a good balance.

Mission Complete!

Full view of wall.
Details/Product Info:
Starburst mirrors - purchased from Pottery Barn Kids on clearance over 3 years ago and spray painted to match (they were an off-white color).
Photo plaques - wood plaques from Hobby Lobby ranging in price from $0.99-1.99, painted with acrylic paints.  Photos are Mod Podged on to plaques.  Super easy project!
Knob decor - purchased from Hobby Lobby.  They still sell this item but I bought these over 2 years ago and used them in Addyson's room at our old house.
Good Morning Beautiful and ABC prints - Etsy 
I Believe in Pink print - Etsy
Custom silhouette - Etsy
Tissue poms (shown in full view photo) - DIY project.


No comments:

Post a Comment