Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Fun Finds

The next few weeks are going to be exciting for me.  Nothing extraordinary or earth shattering is happening really, but for me these few small (and maybe silly to some) things are super fun and even a bit exhilarating.  Yes, I am a complete dork sometimes but it's the small things in life, right?

Fun Find #1
I discovered (through a great little blog - www.honestlywtf.com/diy/diy-pom-poms) a handy little tool to assist in making pom poms from yarn.  My head is spinning with ideas on what to do with the pom poms once I've mastered making them - necklaces, decorative garland, etc.  I got so excited when I read the blog post about this that I immediately picked up the phone and started calling every local craft and/or fabric store that I could think of looking for a pom pom maker doo-dad..  It didn't take long to locate a yarn shop that sells this neat little gadget and they are very inexpensive, so I will be picking one up this week and trying my hand at making these fun little yarn balls:)  Something tells me that my house is going to be covered in pom poms soon.

Fun Find #2
Jewelry making!  I've been contemplating this for awhile but wasn't really sure where to start until I accidentally stumbled across what appears to be (I've only seen their website so far) a super cool bead shop in Dilworth and they offer FREE classes.  I am so excited about this!  How fun to make your own jewelry???  Check them out at www.on-a-string.com.  I'll definitely be attending one of their beginner classes and will let you know how it goes!

Fun Find #3
I think we've established the fact that I am a bit obsessed with children's clothing, so how delighted am I to be having 2 skirts custom made for my little ladies?  And custom made for an amazing price!  Thanks to a tip from a friend I found a great little Etsy shop called PrettyMe.  I've been stalking this shop and it's adorable little dresses, skirts, and other goodies for about a year now, but for some unknown reason (maybe laziness, forgetfulness, etc.) I haven't gotten around to purchasing any of these whimsical creations.  Until now!  
A friend of mine is taking photographs of the kids in a few weeks and I've been busy planning their wardrobes and coordinating outfits.  I bought necklaces for the girls from another Etsy shop b/c they were too cute and affordable to resist, even though I really had no idea at the time what they were going to wear them with.  Then I saw a Facebook post from PrettyMe about an item called a "Surprise Skirty".  It really is a surprise:)  Using leftover fabrics an apron skirt is designed and custom made just for you but you don't choose the fabrics, they do!  I contacted Angie (the shop owner) and asked her if she would please, please, please make a skirt for each of the girls to coordinate with their necklaces and she was so pleasant and easy to work with.  Now I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of our Surprise Skirties!  And yes, for those of you that are wondering, I did buy the accessories first not having a clue what the girls would wear with them.  I think there are a lot of ladies out there that do the same thing.  You see a great pair of earrings and grab them b/c you can always find an equally great top later:)  Same goes for shoes, handbags, etc.  After all, accessories make the outfit!  


Fun Find #4
I don't want to give too much detail b/c I am working on another blog post about decorating but I found a little something for C's room that I'm really excited about.  It's not the white tree sticker that I've been in search of for almost 2 years but it's a fun and (I think) creative addition to his room.  More to come on that...

Stay tuned for photos of all of these Fun Finds!

1 comment:

  1. Love Pretty Me! She made dresses for us last year which were beyond adorable!

    ReplyDelete