Friday, July 6, 2012

The List Goes On {and on and on}...



I know that I'm not the only person out there feeling like their lists of projects go on and on and on, but with 3 kids ages 6 and under it feels as though I am constantly working on a project of some sort and my list truly seems to be never-ending.  If it's not a holiday then it's a birthday and if it's not a birthday then it's a home project and if it's not a home project then it's a school project - you get the point.  Right now I'm not even talking about daily lists like grocery shopping, errand running, laundry, cooking and cleaning.  I'm talking about BIG projects, or maybe "events" would be a more appropriate term.

Here's how our annual list plays out:
We just celebrated Addyson's Birthday and Father's Day (her party was on June 16th, the 17th was Father's Day and the 18th was her actual birthday) followed by the 4th of July (for which I to my own dismay did no decorating, but the kids still needed to be outfitted with red, white and blue apparel and there were parades to attend, fireworks to see, etc.).  On top of these holidays/celebrations we've squeezed in the usual summer activities - camps, classes, lessons, play dates and trips to visit both sets of grandparents.

Next up we'll have some Back to School fun with a few baking and crafting projects to get the kids excited for the new school year.  I only started making a big "to do" about the Back to School thing last year when Rylee started kindergarten, but it's the perfect time to create some keepsake items and make great memories.  It's also the end of summer and by then everyone has tired of sidewalk chalk, bubbles and playing in the sprinkler so this is a nice change of pace!

At some point later this summer or early in the fall we will be transitioning Cooper to a Big Boy Room and Rylee's room could also use a makeover/update, so I have been looking for ideas and making some mental plans for both of their rooms.  As it turns out we'll probably do both room makeovers at the same time because we are planning to take the bed from Rylee's room and use it in Cooper's room.  I'm not sure yet if this is a good or a bad thing.  Revamping 2 bedrooms at the same time is going to be a little overwhelming but at least they'll both be done and I won't have to worry about doing it again for quite some time.  We just updated Addyson's room a few months ago so once we get Cooper and Rylee set up all 3 kids will have "new" rooms that should last them for at least a few years.

By that time Halloween will be upon us so there's the costume choosing, candy buying and home decorating to do, and Matt's Birthday is on Halloween so we'll have to throw in some sort of celebration for him too.

From there we'll switch out the Halloween decor for Thanksgiving decor, but before we eat our feast we'll celebrate Cooper's Birthday earlier in November.  Of course, Christmas shopping will have begun at this point too.

As soon as all of the Fall/Thanksgiving decor comes down, the Christmas decor starts going up inside and out, and it stays up for about 3-4 weeks.  Then there's the hustle and bustle of shopping, gift wrapping, baking, cooking, etc. and the actual holiday itself.  I try to take down all of the Christmas decor in a timely manner after New Year's has passed because Rylee's Birthday is later in January and I have to prep for that.

After Rylee's birthday bash we do a little decorating and usually some baking for Valentine's Day and again for St. Patrick's Day.  Otherwise, February and March are "slow" months for us.

Then we take the month of April off (not really though because at that point I have started prepping for Addyson's birthday again) and in May we only have Mother's Day to contend with.

And now we're back to June and we start the month off with our Wedding Anniversary on the 4th and My Birthday on the 5th, then in the middle of the month comes Father's Day and Addyson's Birthday.

And the cycle starts again!



Thankfully updating the kids' bedrooms isn't an annual event, but I was sort of hoping that sometime over the next several months that maybe, just maybe Matt and I could actually do some updating and improving in our own bedroom along with a few other areas of the house.  Or maybe even plan and host a grown-up party (now that's an idea!).  I guess I'll just add those to my list!


I should add that I am in no way, shape or form complaining about this list.  I love every minute (almost every minute anyway) of this crazy, non-stop cycle that is my life and if I didn't have a never-ending list of projects/events to work on I would be bored to death.  It's just that I've never taken the time to think about these things in a "yearly" sort of way and when I did I realized that it truly is ~freakin~ Never Ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment